Monday 16 September 2013

The Shady Tree, Squamish BC - Suiside wings

Myself, my girlfriend and 3 friends went up to Joffre Lakes in Pemberton over the weekend for a overnight hike and camp. On the way back to Vancouver we stopped off at the Shady Tree in Squamish for a bite to eat. I have been there before after various excursions though the BC wilderness and always have had a good meal and friendly service, this time was no different. 

I had noticed the 'Suicide wings' on the menu before but never really had the courage to try them, this time however I hard a point to prove. 'How are your wings today' I asked our waitress. I got a smile back and the reply 'there always good'. I have a feeling this might be a go to response, last time we we're there I asked the same question, and got the same reply, word for word. My confidence strong I moved onto the suicide wings, 'How hot are the suicide wings?' I boldly ask. Her response 'they make me cry just carrying them to the table'. I was sold, I promptly ordered a plate of suicide wings, side order of onion rings and a Philips IPA Hop Circle. 

After 30-45 minutes of drinking beer, having chat and watching the Seattle Seahalks comfortably beat the San Francisco 49'ers the food arrived. As soon as the wings were placed in front of me I could smell the hot sauce, it really hit the top of the nose and the eyes, if nothing else it would clear the sinuses! After a minute or so of weighing up the dozen wings I dug in. Not to bad, I thought as I scoffed down the first couple. The sauce was strong and full of flavor and the wings were all a good size with a lot of meat on them. Happy and semi triumphantly I sat back, took a sip of my IPA and proceeded to announce 'there not that bad'. Almost as the words were leaving my lips they were replaced by 'the burn'. Perhaps this wasn't going to be as easy as I first thought. It started off with my lips, as I guess it usually would. No problem, I'll just make sure that I bypass my lips as much as possible...... by the first half dozen there was no taste left in my tongue. I was very thankful for the side order of onion rings, just something to disperse the heat, there was only so much breathing in cold air would help. I took a few minutes to compose myself and plow on, 'the burn' subsided a little bit and my confidence grow again, 'I've come this far' I thought. 10 wings in I don't think I was even chewing. Get them off the bone and down my thought. What was the point in chewing if you couldn't even taste them anyway? My fingers were covered in the tangy napalm that was engulfing my mouth, my paper napkin was crumpled into orange shreds, and there were still two more. Two more, only two more.... 'in for a penny, in for a pound'. Mind over body I ate them as quickly as possible, I don't think I blinked or took a breath. Washing my hands in the little lemon water bowl felt like victory! It was as if I was cleansing myself of tangy tocsins, but wow was my mouth hot! I was right though, it definitely cleared my sinuses, and after about 30 minutes 'the burn' subsided.  

I'm a little puzzled at how to rate these wings. I ordered them for the challenge not for the enjoyment. They definitely were a challenge. After finishing I was asked 'would you order them again'? No. I don't think I would. The only way I could see me eating them again is if I was there with lots of friends getting quite drunk and sharing them between us. However I knew what I was ordering and they delivered, it's not there fault i'm an idiot. So after everything considered, as well as my last visit taken into consideration I think 9 out of 10. Possibly the best I've had in B.C. and definitely worth stopping in if you are passing. 

Price $13 


2 comments: